exbex: (Default)
[personal profile] exbex
 It’s the third day of school, and in comes a grumpy student who was working her crap minimum wage lunchmeat slinging job until 2 AM. I wonder aloud if this is legal. Other students indicate that it is, for anyone who is sixteen or older (my research indicates that this is true, not surprising considering that I live in one of the more ridiculous of the fifty embarassments). I then begin a mini-rant about how this country seems to have forgotten the efforts of the last 100 years (twas mild, of course, considering the stupidity of approximately fifty percent of the registered voters in this country). Then one of my students interjects, and before I get to her spot-on comment, let me first say that this was a student who came into the alternative school where I work lacking in confidence about her academic abilities a year ago. But anyway, she’s all “It’s not that people have forgotten, Ms. _______, it’s that employers don’t care about people,” and I’m all Merry Christmas in August.

Date: 2017-08-25 06:15 am (UTC)
matsir: (Default)
From: [personal profile] matsir
Wow, even in my embarrassing home state, you didn't work anyone under 18 past midnight! (that may have changed over the decades) And I would work before I'd make a student do late shift during exams, prom, etc...
The girl's spot-on comment is, unfortunately, an evergreen in the service industry. Does the school teach worker's rights? Knowing what is and isn't legal, unfortunately, won't keep abuse from happening, but it does give them a little foundation to stand up for themselves.
I hope your alt school has the resources and support to let these kids rise above their fears/pasts/blockages and succeed in life.

Profile

exbex: (Default)
exbex

June 2020

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21 222324252627
282930    

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 28th, 2026 09:48 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios